Monday 25 March 2013

First Article

Feedback on my first article arrived today, reasonably happy with it. It was accepted with no revision required, content good, grammar, spelling and syntax perfect.

I enjoyed writing it – it was a little outside my normal area but I think this was a plus. I’ve always tried in everything I do to stretch myself. My opinion is, it is better to stretch yourself and work outside your comfort zone from time to time, thus expanding your skillset; rather than churning out the same stuff time and time again.

Rather than fall into a rut, which I think happens a lot, stretching yourself allows you to take a fresh perspective on a well-known topic. For example, rather than write about a character in the third person all the time, try writing in the first person. It forces you to externalise a lot of that character’s feelings and thought processes, which wouldn’t necessarily be a consideration in the third person. I’ll try and post a couple of examples to illustrate this in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment