Sunday 26 May 2013

Full steam ahead

Full steam ahead on the new novel, now over 16,000 words and still struggling to keep pace with the flood of ideas. I think this may turn out to be my most ambitious project yet; it's certainly throwing up plotlines all over the place!
I love it when that happens though. As a writer, having the characters come alive on the page, having them engage in dialogue that, when you re-read what you've written the next day, you think, 'Eh? I don't remember writing that!" It's nearly always good, even if you can see where some judicious editing and rewriting could improve it.
I tend to leave that until the book/story/whatever is written, then leave it a week or two, before printing and rereading (with a pencil), making notes as to where inconsistencies in plot occur, scrappy writing that needs pruning or rewriting, poor phrasing, syntax or grammar and so on. then I spend the next day/week/month (depends on the size of the piece) rewriting.
Having fun though, exploring all these little offshoots that are happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment